Alright friends, I’m a first-time mama-to-be. I know you must be thinking “why is she preaching to us about what she’s packing, as if she’s some pro?”. Well, I’m here to say I have no idea what I’m doing! I did do a ton of research though, about what to pack for the upcoming hospital stay. I read articles written by nurses, and had plenty of conversations with current mamas.
First off – know that the hospital will provide you with a lot of the non-glamorous essentials (think diapers and pads for us, nursing pads, pacifiers, etc). There are several items I wouldn’t have thought to pack, so I hope this helps you!
Items I chose to pack:
- Portable sound machine – I’ve heard this is essential in *trying to get sleep* amidst all the noises/sounds
- Fuzzy socks – Hospitals are FREEZING, need I say more?! Be as comfortable as you can!
- Hair Dryer – If you plan to shower while there, you need one!
- Hair Brush – This is my tried and true – I’m sensitive to my hair being pulled, this is so gentle on your head
- Aquaphor – Hospitals are DRY – you need this to keep yourself moisturized
- Robe – I’m hoping to get a few cute pictures with the babe while at the hospital, but more than that, I plan to just wear this over a breastfeeding-friendly cami or gown
- Button-down sleep shirt
- Sweatpants – these joggers are incredibly comfortable and loose-fitting
- Actual hospital bag – this bag has never failed me in my travels, and it’s the perfect size for all our stuff
- Pillows – People have told me you’ll want your own pillow – you can either bring from home, OR just buy a couple inexpensive ones that you don’t have to worry about remembering to bring home after
- Chargers – In the midst of all the chaos, you will want to charge your phone/camera/sleep machine/etc
- My going home outfit – I bought a loose-fitting black dress and will wear flat sneakers home
- Going home for bebe – I purchased a monogrammed beanie and plain onesie for our ride home
- Outfit for bebe.
- Water bottle – yes, I know hospitals provide you with one, but I decided to also bring one with a straw
- Hair ties
- Flip flops
- Toiletries – I bought travel size body wash, shampoo, deo, all the things I would want for my shower
Anything I’ve left off that I need to add?! Tell me!! xo, Elle